Thursday, June 29, 2006

Family Roots

I often tell my daughter about the redneck stories of my life. She thought I was joking until my family showed up this last week at my dad's house. They pitched up 3 tents and air up the air mattresses (they have become sophisticated over the years, no more sleeping on the ground) and filled their ice chests for an extended camping trip.

Well... none of that seems weird to me. I grew up with them doing it every summer. But my kids hadn't seen this before. I had to work so I left my kids up with their cousins to get to know one another... after a few days my daughter starts to tell me stories... I couldn't help but laugh. And boy did I laugh.

"Mom they were all sitting around trying to figure out who had the worst smelling armpits." She tells me in excitement. She can't believe I'm right about the redneck thing.

"And the hairiest too, right?" I ask her stifling my laughter.

She looked at me wide eyed, "YEAH! And then they had a farting contest."

Now I'm laughing.

"And a burping contest?"

Her eyes grew wider and she nodded in disbelief I knew. "They use 'ya' for everything too. 'Ya better come here!' 'Ya know better' 'Ya know I'm right'."

"In their lives, 'ya' is a real word." I told her...still laughing. It's her shock that's too funny. I don't know why this child doesn't believe me when I tell her about my family.

"I never believed you mom until this week." She admits to me in a low tone. So low she doesn't want to admit that I'm right so I could hear her.

Well... I don't admit to be a recovering redneck for a reason. I can't deny my family roots, but I don't have to be one. I will admit that my childhood was fun. It was loaded full of fond memories of fishing, swimming, horseback riding and family get together that lasted for weeks. It was never dull.

As I look at my life now I would much rather be a sexy librarian then a redneck... *sighs* I love my books. I love to read.

Now to add to all of this... I showed up one evening after work dressed in my business attire... heels, dress pants, tights, and a nice blouse. No one talked to me that night but my dad. Maybe they didn't recognize me.

God I love my family. They are the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home