Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Parents Be Proud Of Your Children

I did it!

Continuing on with my car saga, I have done it! I found a car, within reason, with only $1000 down (Oh... the car payments are higher than I want though), and it's a 2005. It shouldn't break down in the next year... OR SO!!!!

With all the issues that have been going on with the cars I feel it has totally consumed my life! Well it has! So much so that the first place who denied me (because of my length at the job) wanted a cosigner. I immediately emailed my dad and asked. Well... I know better! I know if I can't do it on my own then it doesn't need to happen.

Later that night I called my dad and said...

"I have discovered that there is more then one way to skin a cat." (Old saying please don't get grossed out on me ~ I grew up with old parents, dad is 75)

He starts laughing... "Oh?" He said.

"Yup. When there is a will there is a way and I have discovered that I can skin a cat several different ways today."

"What happen?"

"I got my car and the financing."

Now let me point out something here... Divorce = Bankruptcy. I'm trying my damnedest to not go there. And I've done a very good job. To help build my credit free from my loser ex I have done several things that have just my name on them. Like buy a house... and now a car.

Continuing with my dad.

"Ah! That's great news!" He says. I can hear the happiness in his voice. "See there, everything works out."

"I know they do, Dad. I just have to keep my perspective straight. I did that! You'd be proud!" I teased him laughingly.

"I have always been very proud of you, Alia."



This hit me hard last night! I finished up the conversation but those words never left my thoughts. Here I am, a woman, single now with three kids. I have had a failed marriage, a troublesome teenager, a failed business, and I fear rejection in the worst way. I feel very lonely and very depressed... way too often. I feel often times a failure.

And yet, my dad is proud of me.

The feeling that rushed through me was one that I can't explain. It's very different from the feelings I feel when I hear the words "I love you." They aren't just the same. I felt myself beam with pride that I'm not viewed as a failure to my dad. And he's a tough man to make happy. He served in the military for 20 years, owned his own business for many more years, what ever hobby he started he perfected with ease and he's proud of me...

As a daughter of a man, this was the best thing the man could have ever given me in my life right now. Even more so then cosigning for a car.

As a mother of children, I won't hesitated to let my children know that I'm very proud of them. So to all parents out there, I strongly recommend that you tell you kids how proud you are of them. If you don't see them... write them a letter. Despite how much trouble they might be or get into, let them know! I can't tell you the wonders it has done for me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home